Tuesday 8 June 2010

Friends and weddings

I seem to be at that time of life now where everyone I know is either engaged, married, preganant or already parents. It's weird that these things really do come in batches. Calculating guests for my own weding next year I realised that if everyone brought their children we would have eighteen under 5-year-olds running around. Now, I'm all for having children at weddings, but that's a lot of little people!

However, there are some little ones that I most definitely must have at the wedding. My brother will have a little girl by then and I can't wait to see how mischeivious and cheeky she's going to be, and of course, it wouldn't be the same without Jennifer's little girl. And then there is my little god-daughter. I say god-daughter, but it's not really religious. I suppose I'm more of a guardian to her. David, my fiance, is guardian to her twin brother.

We've just spent a wonderful weekend visiting them, and attending another friend's blessing and wedding party. The day was a classic June afternoon - hot and sultry. My favourite part of the day was spending time with the Applin family. The twins are just so much fun and seem so happy and full of joy.


We got changed at their house and then raced down the M4 to meet up with friends in Reading before catching a taxi to Aldermaston Mill for the wedding blessing. I'd been up the night before making a card for the lovely couple. It was a bit of a last minute affair because I'd completely lost track of the date, but luckily I was able to borrow a red card from Jennifer and then found enough stuff amongst my random stash to create something (it helped that Hobbycraft have been having a sale on the last few times I've been to visit!).


I cut the heart shape out of patterend cardstock and used pop-up foam squares to stick it on. The romance embellishment is from a pack of stickers I let myself buy a few weeks ago.

I managed to find a photo of the two of them together and printed it out. Then I cut out a frame of patterned paper. I didn't have any scalloped shaped-scissors, so did the scalloping with normal scissors, but it worked well because I wanted it to have a rough and handmade feel to it. I'm not keen on everything being perfectly straight and symmetrical. I like a bit of disorder in life!

The one downside was that the ink smudged on the paper tag once it was glued on (you can see it on the top and bottom edges), but apart from that I'm quite pleased with it, and I know that Mr. and Mrs Smith were really touched to have a handmade card (exact words were 'the card is genius', which I'll try not to let go to my head).

It was a good day, and really fantastic to meet up with people I hadn't seen for months. Now it's back to searching for work, filling in application forms and doing the accounts. Oh Joy.

Rosie x

1 comment:

  1. Wow the Applin twins are so cute! I love their curls, it's like they're out of a vintage storybook!

    I also really like the card you made, I'm kind of jealous of those stickers you bought now. Like how you've got the name card on top of some ribbon. Very nice miss Rosie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my site. I'd love to know what you're thinking, so please drop me a line below!